The 2014 Distinguished Service Award
The 2014 IACTE Distinguished Service Award recipient is Robin White of Grandview University. Dr. White has been department chair of education at Grandview. She has provided great leadership for the program at Grandview and has served IACTE as secretary for the Executive Board for a number of years. She also organized wonderful support for the IACTE Day at the Capital including lodging in Grandview dorms for students coming from afar as well as developing materials to share with legislators. Robin has also participated in the current Chapter 79 revision work being completed with the Iowa Department of Education. Robin has truly exemplified passion, practice, commitment, and caring in all aspects of her work as a teacher educator. We will miss her when she leaves the state to retire in West Virginia.
2010 National Teacher of the Year Sarah Brown Wessling provided great insights on her teaching strategies and philosophy. Her presentation was lively and sprinkled with examples from the Teaching Channel website.
Her passion for teaching and learning was in great evidence and appreciated by her audience.
Iowa Department of Education Director Brad Buck provided an update from the department on items of mutual interest including an agreement to meet with selected IACTE representatives on a regular basis to strengthen communication between the Iowa DE and IACTE. We look forward to improving our communication and collaboration regarding our mutual passion for teaching and learning in Iowa
The IRRC is pleased with the number of institutions that have agreed to send faculty members to the Early Warning System training for IHEs. We now have additional information on dates and are asking everyone who received the original survey to respond to this email and the attached spreadsheet in lieu of the previous survey. The additional details are below:
Early Warning System training for IHEs
- Dr. Ben Siberglitt, Developer of Iowa TIER (Tools for Innovation and Educational Results)
- Dr. Ted Christ, Developer of FAST (Formative Assessment System for Teachers)
- Dr. Scott McConnell, Developer of IGDIs (Individual Growth and Development Indicators)
Participants: Faculty members interested in training their students on Iowa’s voluntary Early Warning System, which includes preK-6th grade assessments and the statewide database.
Thursday, May 22nd (full day)
Friday, May 23rd (full day)
Des Moines, IA: Location TBD
- Training is free of charge for faculty
- All materials and lunch will be provided
We will need one point person from each institution to complete the attached spreadsheet, indicating contact information for each faculty member that will be attending training. In addition, this point person will serve as a contact to represent the group from your institution.
We look forward to collaborating with you for this training.
Several of our presenters graciously shared the Powerpoint slides used in their presentations and they are available below:
Dept of Ed Director Brad Buck:
Dept. of Ed. Consultants Larry Bice and Carol Richardson:
Board of Educational Examiners Executive Director Duane McGee:
Reading Research Center: Talking Points for IHEs:
Plan to attend the IACTE Spring Conference on April 3 and 4!
- Two pre-conference offerings on Thursday morning – Iowa Core and edTPA
- Director Brad Buck will be speaking at 1:30 Thursday afternoon
- Collaborative Advocacy/Work Teams in the areas of Reading/Literacy, Iowa Core/Smarter Balanced Assessment, Program/Candidate Assessments, and P-20 Collaborations
- Ms. Sarah Brown-Wessling, National Teacher of the Year 2010 will be speaking
- P-12 educators sharing creative approaches to teaching and learning
- Discussion on Chapter 79 and Annual Reporting revisions
- Private reception at the America’s River Museum for recognition of IACTE Distinguished Service Award and retiring IACTE colleagues, and networking.
Registrations for hotel rooms at the Grand River Center can be made by calling: (1-800-690-40061-866-690-4006) or (1-563-690-32701-563-690-3270) When prompted press 1. Rooms at the conference rate are available for either night at $79 until March 13. When calling to make reservations identify that you are attending the IACTE conference.
We have a wonderful venue for our conference and great opportunities to collaborate and continue our growth as educational leaders.
I’ll look forward to seeing you in Dubuque in about 6 weeks. Hopefully spring will have sprung!!!